How many of us enjoy eating cheese ? What’s the attraction ? Is it the taste ? The texture ? The colour ?
Are there healthier plant-based vegan alternatives to dairy based cheese ? Try the very simple vegan cheese recipe below:
- 11/2 C hot water 2 TBL corn flour
- 3/4 C cashews 1/4 C pimentos
- 3’/3 TBL sesame seeds 1/3 C Brewer’s yeast flakes (optional)
- I tsp salt I TBL lemon juice
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
Blend all but the lemon juice.
Bring to boil while stirring constantly.
Boil for 2-3 minutes.
Remove from heat and ADD lemon juice.
Did you enjoy the vegan cheese recipe above ? Try also the vegan Tofu Cheese and Pimento cheese recipe options.
Why are dairy based cheese options unhealthy ?
- high in saturated fat
- increases blood cholesterol
- tranmits animal diseases to humans
- risk of dairy milk based brucellosis disease
- made from waste products of milk molds and bacteria
- fermenting process can produce a neurotoxin such as roquefortine (i.e. blue cheeses)
- produces an amine that can cause headaches
- rennet can come from pig stomachs
- holes in Swiss cheese come from the action of gas forming bacilli, similar to those which form gas in the bowel
- some cheeses contain mites (such as Milbenkäse, Cantal and Mimolette cheeses. See picture below.)